O B E D I A N C E   T O   H I S   C A L L

"We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ." 
2   C o r i n t h i a n s   1 0 : 5

Obedience to God and the Spirit's gentle whisper is something that has been on my heart for the past few months. Simply disobeying His commands or choosing not to listen to the what the Holy Spirit is leading me to do/say has been a constant conviction for me ever since listening to a sermon at The Project back in December. This sermon was about Mary and her incredible response to finding out that she is carrying the Son of God. Young, unwed and pregnant- definitely not a good mix back in the day. But despite this, her response was amazing;

"Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be according to your word." (Luke 1:38)

How insane is that? Her life is about to be totally turned upside down and her response is simply "let it be". This is the ultimate picture of beautiful obedience to the Lord. It made me wonder, what would my response be? There will be times in my life where God so clearly speaks to me and asks something of me. And sometimes- most often times, actually- it is way outside my comfort zone and requires sacrifice and full trust in Him. There have been so many times where I have had the audacity to flat out say no to the King of Kings- acting in total disobedience to his perfect plan. Because of fear? Selfishness? Pride? All of the above. 

But man, God is so worthy of our obedience. If we genuinely believe that what he desires for us is best and if we truly want him to be Lord over our lives, we must be His servant, like Mary. Our response needs to be "Here I am Lord. Use me for Your glory." This is something that I fail at over and over! (Praise God for His grace!) Mary doesn't just see God as a loving Father, but also recognizes Him as King, Lord over all, the one who has all authority over everything.  She recognized WHY we are to be obedient. It is because He is our friend and companion who walks with us (John 15). He wants + always desires the best for us. And, when He says 'go tell others' (the great commission), it is so that we can have life to the fullest living for His glory alone. Above all else, we obey Him because He loves us and we love Him- because of our reverence for Him. If we refuse to obey Him, He is not your King- He is merely a decoration. Disobedience is in our DNA- our sinful desires cause us to chose to say no. But we also have the choice to 'step out of the boat' like Peter and trust that this will bring Him glory. I need to remind myself daily that He is worth it. 

I have been working on recognizing sin and what I am being disobedient about. His commands? His call for my life? 

Oswald Chambers said, "If there is something in your life upon which God has put His pressure, then obey Him in that matter." Our acts of obedience may be audacious or simple. big or small. Maybe He's simply nudging you to share Him with someone. 

"If you love Me, keep My commands." John 14: 15-18. We are broken beings who need His power and authority over our lives. This verse goes on to say that we don't have to do this on our own- He walks with us through the Holy Spirit (v 18). That's so incredibly comforting! 

much love,
rach

6 comments :

  1. Oh man, amen to all of this!! I am constantly going round the 'it's so hard to be obedient' / 'it's so worth it when I am' cycle. Boy does he blow me away each and every time I choose to do or not do something that will make me closer to his presence. I love these words!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So so so true!! Thank you so much :)
      lots of love from canada!
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Hi Rachel! One of my blog friends linked to your blog a week or so ago and I am so glad I clicked over! I am a huge fan of your eye for photography and am loving your blog even more now that I've seen and read your heart and love for Jesus. I just have to say that this post came to me with perfect (God's!) timing. I, too, have been feeling that tug to obey even though it's wayyy harder than it should be. Thank you for reminding me of God's goodness and how important it is for us to obey. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thank you so so much! This was so encouraging to read :) Isn't incredible how God's timing works?! Love it.
      Hope you are having an amazing week!

      thoughts & prayers,
      rach xoxo

      Delete
  3. Rachel!
    i've been following your blog for quite some time (man that makes me sound like i'm stalking) kiki ^ is actually referring to me haha.

    wanted you to know...that this post....floored my spirit.
    it humbled me.
    challenged me.
    gutted me.
    and encouraged me.
    beyond all - it was exactly what i needed to read.
    sometimes our most vulnerable posts rarely get seen (i think satan burries them away sometimes in blog feeds).
    but i am so glad i stopped, read, and processed this post.
    thank you for following God's prompting and sharing your heart.
    thank you for laying out your own struggles and reminding us that we are not alone.
    my goodness - this post is truly stunning in such a way that i know God's hand helped guide yours.
    thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy! Thank you so much for sharing my blog with others, as well as this incredibly encouraging comment!

      It was my prayer that this would speak to those who read it (even it that was only one person!). I love the fact that we are a family in Christ- who are able to encourage and challenge one another (even through blog posts! ha.) :) God has amazing timing and He speaks when we are seeking after Him!

      Hope you are having a great week!
      lots of love & prayers,
      rach

      Delete